Sunday, September 15, 2013

I Want My Hat Back

Story Summary:
Bear can’t find his hat, and he really wants it back.  So he sets off on a journey to ask animals along his path if they have seen it.  None of the animals admits to seeing the hat.  Bear is ready to give up, when he suddenly remembers where his hat might be. 

My Thoughts:
I love that this story is told entirely through dialogue.  The illustrations add to the humor of the story. You may be caught off guard by the surprise ending, but your kids will love it!   

Ways I Use The Book:
This is a great book to launch a discussion during writers' workshop about the use of dialogue in stories.  

During reading workshop, it could be used to point out how a reader needs to examine the pictures carefully for more information about the story.  Without the pictures, students might miss the humor of this story.  

And finally, I love to read this book just for fun, especially on Hat Day. Sometimes I even pair it up with Caps For Sale for double the laughter. 


If you are looking for more picture book recommendations, hop on over to Paula's Place for her Storybook Link-Up.


2 comments:

  1. This sounds like such a cute story-- sounds like a perfect fit for setting up dialogue in writing workshop!
    Aylin :)
    Learning to the Core

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up on my blog - love your blog too
    Paula from Paula’s Place and iSURF Maths

    ReplyDelete