Tuesday, December 31, 2013

A Holiday, A Book Club, & A Sale

Hello, friends!  I hope that you had a very merry Christmas week.  I know I sure did.  My husband and I celebrated our anniversary at a local restaurant.  While we were there, the band No Last Call stopped in for a surprise Christmas performance.  It was so much fun!  We spent the rest of the week visiting with family and friends.  Now we are home relaxing.


One thing I enjoy about having time off work is the chance to tackle the books on my never-ending reading list.  

So far, I've checked off two books on the list, What Child Is This: A Christmas Story and Divergent.


What Child Is This: A Christmas Story 
Synopsis:  Sixteen-year-old Matt and eight-year-old Katie have both had enough of foster homes.  Katie wants only one thing for Christmas - a family to call her own.  Matt dreads facing Katie's disappointment when her wish of being adopted doesn't come true. 

In the hustle and bustle of the holidays, it is far too easy to lose the true meaning Christmas.  I loved how this heartwarming story delivered a message of peace, hope, and love.  It put me in the Christmas spirit!



Divergent
Synopsis:  In Beatrice's world, society is divided into five factions, or groups, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue.  Each year on "Choosing Day" all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. Beatrice must choose between staying with her family and being who she really is.  She makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.  Beatrice also has a secret, that she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death.  She soon discovers that unrest and growing conflict threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society. Her secret might help her save those she loves...or it might destroy her.

This book hooked me from the very first pages.  It has adventure, romance, suspense, and so much more.  If you enjoyed reading The Hunger Games and The Giver, then Divergent is for you.  The movie is coming out in March…I can't wait!  But before then, I'll be reading the rest of the series.  :)  


What have you been reading lately?  I'd love to know, so leave a me comment.  Then go link up with Michelle at Big Time Literacy and share your favorite books with the Book Club.

Finally, I wanted to wish you a Happy New Year!  To celebrate, I'm offering 20% off in my TPT store.



Enjoy ringing in the New Year with your friends and family.  I hope 2014 brings you health and happiness.  :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey Wendy!
    Thanks for linking up for the book club with me! I know, Divergent is great isn't it? I'll definitely be at the theater to see the movie right away when it comes out!
    Hope your 2014 is off to a great start!
    Michelle
    BigTime Literacy

    ReplyDelete