Saturday, November 10, 2012

H is for Honor

Yesterday I had the privilege of being a guest reader in a fourth grade classroom.  Many of my intervention students are in this classroom, so I love opportunities to see them in their classroom setting.  We discussed what it means to be a Veteran and read the book H is for Honor: A Military Family Alphabet by Devin Scillian.  


This is a fun picture book to read, especially for intermediate students.  You can read the book two ways.  Each page has a short rhyme to introduce the word and give an explanation of its significance.  But then, in the side bars, there is more factual information to take students deeper.  Aren't the illustrations great?  I love this book! 


After reading the book we did a little acrostic activity using this theme paper I found on TPT by Alissa Manning-Telisak.  It's adorable (and free, too)!
Veteran's are brave
Every Veteran is fearless
Together
Energetic
Returns home
Attitude is right
Navy, Army, Military are important

Volunteers
Elite forces
Teamwork
Effort
Rescue help
All together
Never give up
Strong


 Thank you to the military men and women whose service protects our freedom and keeps us safe.  Happy Veteran's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this great book suggestion. I will add it to my Veterans Day Craftivity packet.

    I am delighted that you had a chance to stop by my blog. Smiling:)that you appreciate the humor in my blog name.

    Welcome to the blogging world. I am your newest follower. Please email and let me know if there is anything I can do to support you. Getting started can be a bit of a challenge (or so I found). I am happy to help in any way.

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete