Sunday, February 10, 2013

Accept the Challenge!

Accept the World Read Aloud Day Blogging Challenge!

Are you celebrating World Read Aloud Day?  It's an awareness day, held March 6, promoting worldwide literacy.  If you missed my post about it, you can read more *here*.  LitWorld has offered a challenge to bloggers that begins this week:

The World Read Aloud Day “Read It Forward” Blogging Challenge begins today and runs through March 6.  If you choose to take the challenge, each week you will be asked to write a post in response to a prompt, for a total of 4 posts counting down to World Read Aloud Day.

Each of the prompts addresses the theme “Read It Forward.”  Read It Forward describes the ripple effect of positive change that resonates around the world when we read aloud with others.



Week 1: February 10 – February 16

What do you think is special about reading aloud?

Your first mission is to answer this question.  After answering the prompt, share a short description of how you plan to celebrate WRAD on March 6.  Who will you celebrate with?  Where will you be?  If you have celebrated WRAD in the past, what activities brought you and those you celebrated with the most joy?

Week 2: February 17 - February 23

Now & Then

Answer the following questions twice.  The first time, answer how you would have when you were 10 years old (or any age from elementary school that you remember clearly) and the second time, answer in the present.

1. I think everyone in the world should read...

When I was 10:

Now:

(repeat this format for the remaining questions)

2. If I could listen to anyone in the world read aloud to me it would be...

3. When I read aloud, my favorite character to impersonate is...

4. The genre that takes up the most room on my bookshelf (or e-reader) is...

5. The last book I wish I’d written or inspired me to write my own story is...

Week 3: February 24 - March 2

A Snapshot of My Reading Life

Post a photo that gives readers a glimpse into your reading life. This could be your favorite place to read, your bookshelf, your library, a classroom, a book from childhood that you still re-read today, your favorite person to read with.  Anything that brings joy to your reading life will work!

Below the photo share a short narrative explaining why this picture is meaningful to you.

Week 4: March 3 - March 8
Read It Forward!

It’s time to read aloud! Select a favorite text, or a personal story that you love to share out loud, and make a video.  If you don’t have a webcam, or prefer not to be on camera, you can also translate this challenge into a written post.  Share what you will be reading on World Read Aloud Day, and why you chose this particular piece to read aloud.


I'm taking the challenge, and I hope you will too!

Wendy

2 comments:

  1. Hi Wendy
    I haven't heard about this it sounds so cool. I just found you and am your newest follower. Very cute blog!
    Vicky
    Traditions Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Wendy! I am working on that project that I'd love to have you check out. I don't use FB that often anymore, but if you send me a private message on FB with your email, I'll send you what I've made so far. I am so glad to be back to blogging again...I missed it, but something HAD to go during that class.

    ReplyDelete